Middle Years International Program
The International School Altdorf is broadening its academic offering to accommodate the more diverse background of its international students and prepare them for the challenges they will face in the IB Diploma Programme or in our Career-Related Academic Program. This program, more flexible and more focused on interdisciplinary connections, will develop active learners who can simultaneously be creative, critical and reflective thinkers.
International School Altdorf is already an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School and is a candidate school to obtain authorization also for our Middle Years International Program, to become an IB Middle Years Programme (IB MYP).
The IB MYP will be a framework of international education that incorporates the values of the IB into a unique programme addressing the needs of our students aged 14 to 16 years.
The IB MYP will emphasize intellectual challenge, encouraging students to make connections between their studies in traditional subjects and the real world. It fosters the development of skills for communication, intercultural understanding and global engagement—essential qualities for young people who are becoming global leaders and prepares students to meet the academic challenges of the IB Diploma Programme (DP) and the IB Career-related Programme (CP).
The IB Middle Years Programme:
- addresses holistically students’ intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being;
- provides students opportunities to develop the knowledge, attitudes and skills they need in order to manage complexity and take responsible action for the future • ensures breadth and depth of understanding through study in eight subject groups;
- requires the study of at least two languages (language of instruction and additional language of choice) to support students in understanding their own cultures and those of others;
- empowers students to participate in service within the community;
- helps to prepare students for further education, the workplace and a lifetime of learning.
Students in the International School Altdorf Middle Years International Program will study subjects from six different groups of subjects. The list and groups will then evolve according to the requirements to become and authorized IB MYP World School.
Language and Literature
- English Language and Literature
- Chinese Language and Literature
Individual and Societies
- Mathematics (Standard)
- Mathematics (Extended)
Art & Design
- Digital Design